31 May 2010

pumpkin & freedom

I've been craving pumpkin pie. It's so creamy, delicious and cold, and actually kind of good for you, when you make it right.

It takes about 10 minutes to whip one up and throw it in the oven. So tell me why it's 3 days later and there's no pumpkin pie.

Because I can't find canned pumpkin in the stores! It's not like they ONLY carry pumpkin around Thanksgiving, right? Right?
Because if that's the case then next year I'm stocking up on canned pumpkin so when my late-May pumpkin pie craving hits I can indulge.

I WILL be going to a bbq today. Everyone seems on the fence about having one. But I WILL find one and bring some sort of red white and blue dessert. Just to bring the dessert and make it cute.

Even if it's not pumpkin pie.

And let's not forget the reason that it's a dreaded Monday and I'm sitting here in my pjs leisurely drinking my coffee and talking about afternoon bbqs.

I think everyone knows someone in the service, or at least knows someone who knows someone in the service.
Over here we've got the cousin & the cousins' husbands (they seem to like those military men!) in Iraq and Afghanistan, along with a few of my friends who are either there now or have been there, or have been there and are going back again. I know a guy whose wife just had a baby, and he had to leave them in the hospital to head back to Afghanistan. We know plenty of veterans, including close family friends. And then there's Chris, who's still in training, and Luke's friend who just signed up.

And then there's the heroes who lost or gave their lives, and this day is especially for them. You can't turn on the tv, open a web browser, or read the newspaper without some kind of tribute to our men and women in uniform, and that's the way it should be.

So today when you're enjoying your day off, take a second to think about why.

And make red white and blue desserts :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment