14 October 2010

car insurance

Oy, car insurance quotes.

It's time to break free from the nest and get off mom and dad's policy. Our local Allstate agent will not return my phone calls, so I got a quote from the 1-800 number. If I switch to my own policy, I'd pay $200 more every six months. I hate to part with them, after they treated me so well after the accident, but our agent pissed me off and they're simply more expensive.

Farmers was even higher- they quoted me DOUBLE what I'm paying now. I mean, I want full coverage, but sheesh.

I also checked out AAA. Yeah, apparently they offer auto insurance, not just roadside assistance. The guy I talked to was super nice, and unless I misunderstood, you have to get a membership to get the insurance. Which is kind of cool, but I don't think I need quite that much, as I rarely go outside of a 30-mile radius of my house, haha. Anyway, they quoted me about the same as Allstate.

Then I called Progressive and they totally rocked my socks. The premium is only a few bucks higher than I'm paying now, and I get the same coverage, and this is with the accident on record (almost exactly 3 years ago) and without all of mom and dad's multi-car discounts. I'm pretty pleased about that.

So it looks like Progressive is winning the quote battle. Not that I plan on making claims *knock on wood*, but does anyone have any good/bad experience stories to share?

Also, I'm surprised at how easy it is to get a car insurance quote. I hope it's not making little dings on my credit score or anything, haha. Not that it matters anyway.

AND, AND, more adult-ful-ness: I start getting benefits at work soon. Hel-lo better, cheaper health insurance! Hel-lo vision! and my mom might force me to get dental since I have no intention of doing anything dentist-y any time soon.

Oh, oh and also, my dad is going all Steel Magnolias and lighting firecrackers to scare the birds away while he changes his oil so they "don't shit on his truck." Classy. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment