29 January 2012

dress me

Yesterday we learned a few things about wedding dress shopping. We drove around the city for hours, and it was very frustrating.

#1. Make an appointment. Not only will calling confirm that the place is still in business, it makes things a billion times easier- even if you don't really have any idea what you want. Also, people will be less rude. Although that's not really an excuse for the stuck up rude bitches we encountered. Fuck you, I'm the bride. I like the sound of that, haha.

#2. It's hard to find wedding dresses that aren't long and/or poofy gowns. I understand most brides want that look, but the pickings are kinda slim if you don't. I may have to resort to internet purchases, but hopefully I won't have to.

#3. Even if you try on a dress that you'd never end up getting, your mom will cry because you are in a wedding dress.

#4. Try not to wear a thong, because your sister doesn't really want to see your ass when she's helping you into dresses.

Even though the day did not go as smoothly as planned, It started with a bang. Ashley came over, hair still damp, coffee in hand, and set up camp on my coffee table with her excited face on.






And oh my gosh she's amazing. She put together a binder, flagged ideas in bridal magazines, set up her kindle fire and made a presentation. She picked up color swatches at the paint store so we could see how they went together (brilliant). She printed out the marriage license forms, along with directions to the nearest place and what we'd need when we got there. She printed out (in precious color ink!) ideas for decor, including some that she'd seen in other usmc weddings.

Thank GOD. I needed someone with ideas and direction. Even though yesterday was a little chaotic, I feel better because now I have some kind of idea of what we're doing. And it also helped that I finally got Chris to give me some opinions.

As far as I'm concerned, the first thing I need to do is find a dress. All of the other details can be perfect but that doesn't matter if I don't have something appropriate to wear. The sooner I find it, the sooner I can stop thinking about it. Then I get to move on to funner things, like shoes!

And it's funny because I voiced my frustrations to Chris and he tried to make me feel better by saying that it was only a dress, that we need to focus on the fact that we're going to be getting married and that's all that matters... psh. Easy for him to say, he already knows what he's wearing!

At the end of the day, though, he's right. When I think of the time that's left to find a dress, it seems so short. But when it think of the time that's left until I see him again, it seems so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment