09 January 2012

rained out

Today was supposed to be the day I get back into working out.

Yeah, not happening.

We all know it rained today, and flooded. I was not exempt from it, but thankfully I was already at work long before it started raining. The hospital was kind of surrounded by a moat there for a while, then the ditches overflowed, the streets became canals, and the water in the parking lot rose up to the bottom of car doors.

Mad frenzy of people moving cars into spots of the lot that weren't covered in water, myself included. It was thisfreakingclose from flooding into my car. Oh, the horrors if it had.
The courtyards had 6 inches of water in them, and started seeping into the hallways. Tennis shoe squeaks could be heard all day. I was safely in my lab, but a few phlebotomists got stranded and couldn't reach the hospital with their blood. So they just sat there until they could hitch a ride from a tow truck driver, or find their way in.

I left a little later than normal, thinking that I wouldn't be able to get home on the flooded streets, but a few people made it to the hospital and I thought, "If they can get in, I can get out!" I was NOT feeling overtime today. (Speaking of, I need to get back into a happy attitude regarding work. That's a post for another day.) On my way out, I passed several cars abandoned with their hazards on, no doubt leftover from being stranded this morning.

It took me 3 times as long to get home. At one point I passed the Braes Bayou, and it was an amazing sight. Almost full to the brim, the water flowing really fast under the bridge that I was stopped on. It seems like the area surrounding where I work flooded the worst, because once I made it through the traffic, avoided a few flooded areas, and made it onto the freeway, I didn't have any other problems.

But now I'm exhausted, and once again wishing I had a bathtub.

No comments:

Post a Comment