04 April 2012

I survived!

As usual, I make these things out to be much worse than they are. I didn't even have to go to my happy place.

Let's start at the beginning.

The x-rays were cake. They must make the films smaller than they used to, because they weren't uncomfortable at all. And they were quick. The worst part of the visit just became a non-issue and it kinda set the stage for the rest of the visit. I was immediately more relaxed.

The cleaning was done by this awesome lady. She started poking around and asked, "What kind of toothbrush do you use?" And I immediately said, "I'm sorry if it's gross, it's been 6 years since I've been to the dentist." BUT she asked for the opposite reason; my teeth were really clean. She said she's seen worse buildup on people who come every 6 months. Hells yeah! For the record, I use Colgate 360.

So the cleaning was fine, no issues there. Next up was the dirty part- figuring out what work I need done. The x-rays are pretty self-explanatory. Besides the one that is giving me all the trouble. you can clearly see 3 wisdom teeth hanging out, positioned at really wonky angles. They call that "impacted." Which is never a good thing. So 1 tooth is partially emerged, 2 are impacted, and one is severely impacted.

In addition, I have to get three cavities filled. Only three! I was like, "Is that just the bottom?" Nope, apparently my teeth are in better shape than I feared. All of the damage is on the bottom in the back. Errgh, the least comfortable place to get drilled. Two are fillings that have just gotten old and have decayed underneath the metal. Not much you can do to prevent that. One is a new one, and started in-between the teeth. Translation: FLOSS MORE! You bet I will.

One of the cavities must be pretty bad, because both of the dentists (this one and the one I saw in January) and the hygienist asked me if I've had pain on the lower left side and were surprised to hear me say no. I haven't felt a thing.

I'm having them drilled and filled on Monday afternoon, quickly before I have time to really get nervous. I asked if he could do them all at once and he said yes. Whoo! I might just take one of my mom's xanax or whatever the heck she's got. Let's just get this crap DONE. Then I can get the wisdom teeth planned and taken care of as well. The sooner the better.

And, my insurance covered the cleaning and everything; my copay was 5 dollars. I can dig that.

One weird thing that I've never had a dentist do: he had me stick my tongue straight out, then grabbed it and moved it from side to side. I felt really goofy.

Oh, quick little bonus note: The dentist was kind of a hottie. Seriously. Young guy, in good shape with a nice mop of brown hair. He was wearing a scrub top and corduroy pants; very hipster and really cute. Especially since my experience with dentists has consisted solely of old Indian guys. P.S. My fiancee is way hotter. For the record.

So, on to the next step. (I hope that was enough of a conclusion for you, Ash)

No comments:

Post a Comment