03 April 2012

nerves

Dentist appointment tomorrow. Gah, I'm getting nervous. I know it's just a routine x-ray and cleaning, but I'm still nervous. Not a fan of either of those things. There's a reason I haven't been to the dentist in over 6 years, and the last time I went I cried- in the dentist's chair. Not just a few tears, either. I cried like a scared little kid while the dentist looked at me, with his tools in his hands, bewildered at this grown woman acting a fool. How embarrassing.

Nervous about the x-rays because they hurt and make me gag, and I always wind up gagging right when they're taking the picture so it's got to be repeated. Nervous about the cleaning, and a stranger digging around in my mouth. Nervous about the impending doom of fillings, and the wisdom tooth aftermath. I've heard numerous horror stories. The wisdom tooth is currently still sore, but seems to have magically gone down a little. I still can't imagine shoving one of those x-ray cards in that area, so that part should be interesting.

Last time I went for the infection it wasn't so bad, because I was desperate for relief from the pain, and I knew they weren't going to do any poking around in my mouth. This is different. They have to bust out their tools and stick their fingers in my mouth and ask me questions that I can't answer because they're all up in my grill and, ugh. I just want to get this crap all over with. I hate that you can't get it all done in one appointment and instead they drag it out over several visits. In the meantime I get more nervous.

But now I'm six whole years older. I'm a big girl and I'm supposed to be able to handle these things. I can do this. [Holy crap I can't do this I want Akhtar to come with me and hold my hand like he said he would but I told him I could handle it alone.] Err, I mean, I can do this.

Anyway, I made mashed potatoes and pudding. Because of my sore toofer.

Wish me luck, guys.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck!
    I went to the dentist last year, for the first time in 4 years. I, too, dread the x-rays. Soooooo uncomfortable and they never do get it right the first time.
    My last dentist offered numbing cream for my gums - which I deemed to be the most fantastic thing ever. It makes for a weird, tingly sensation which, while not exactly pleasant, is a dang good distraction to the other goings ons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what time is your appt? i'll come with you and hold your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all up in yo grill

    ReplyDelete