03 December 2012

come back...

So it's just me and the kitten again. Well, actually, kitten is running around outside at the moment. So it's just me. and wine.

Chris couldn't sleep last night, which means I couldn't sleep last night. We woke up early this morning, and Akhtar drove Chris to the airport while I headed to the Medical Center to start my new job.

What followed was a good, but exhausting day. Lots of new employee forms to fill out, lots of meeting people, lots of standing around while people explain stuff. I love the people and the work, and overall I'm excited and think this will be a great thing for me.

I came home weary, and dug into the pile of mail sitting on my desk.

First thing I opened was a new social security card. Would have come in handy today when I tried to change my name at work and they wouldn't let me because they needed it. So my boss just set me up with all this stuff, only to have to change it all tomorrow when I go to HR and change my name. Awesomeee.

Also received a new debit card, and some forms needed to change my name on the car note. For the record, my new name is too long to fit on the card. I kinda love that.

It still amazes me that all it takes to change my name at one company is making a phone call and spelling it out, yet at another they need a form filled out, a certified copy of the marriage license, a copy of my social security card & birth certificate, fingerprints, and dna sequencing from a piece of both mine and Chris' hair-- in a triple-thick padded envelope, delivered by a leprechaun.

Even within the same company- my checking and savings accounts were taken care of by one visit, but the credit card linked to those same accounts requires a completely different process-- and nobody thought to mention that to me, even after I asked the lady if the credit card was taken care of and she assured me it was. It's enough to drive me INSANE. (got no brain)

To add to the crazy of today, I ordered a new space phone, or a space phone~ lite. It's not exactly bells & whistles galore, but in a couple of days a bonafide smart phone will be delivered to my door. I'm kinda excited. And have no idea how to use it. I figure it will keep me distracted from the fact that there's suddenly no more husband hanging around. And I'll be able to receive picture messages again.

Today was a stressful day, as days with lots of big life changes are bound to be, and I miss Chris so much I don't even know how to handle it, but it's also a day of new beginning, and it's something that I've needed for a long time.

Even with the stress, I have something to look forward to. I have a purpose. Because at the end of the day, today and every day, all I have to do is walk through a patient waiting area to give myself a really big fat reality check. I think that daily perspective will go a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment