21 November 2007

today is the first day

...of the rest of my life.

My doctor called me this morning, waking me from a very comfortable snuggle-fest. Basically she called to inform me that the tests for Celiac Disease were positive. She said she sent me a package in the mail with information, referrals to Gastroenterologists and a copy of my lab results. [she knew I'd want to see them] Looking at the lab results, holy crap. The values in my blood were TEN TIMES the values signalling a positive result.

Wow. So, I guess I need to change my diet immediately. I did some more research and my fridge is full of lists of ingredients to look out for when shopping. My mom ran out and got some gluten-free cake mixes that I can eat while everyone else gorges on pecan pies and pumpkin cake tomorrow. The majority of the food will be okay though.

I know a few people who have done research or know/are celiacs and they are helping me out tremendously. The hardest part will be getting into a routine of realizing what foods are safe and which are not.

This does explain a lot of things, I hope I start to feel better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment