31 December 2007

cooking and lifestyle changes

After getting that cookbook and set of pots and pans, I've been on a cooking/ freezing frenzy. I don't want to be stuck without good gluten free food once school starts and I'm too busy to cook. I'm tired of eating plain rice and snacking on microwave popcorn and fritos in a pinch. Besides that, it's unhealthy.

I made a big pot of chili and it rocks. Actually, as far as chilis go it's mediocre, but it rocks because I made it and I can feel good about eating it. Except after distilling the cloves in ochem lab, I can pick out the taste/ smell of cloves from pretty much everything now, so maybe next time a little less clove powder to season.

I am constantly amazed at what wonderful friends I have. Everyone has been incredibly supportive of me while I try to integrate this whole change into my life. They read labels, look up recipes, let me know which stores they've seen that have gluten free sections and/ or foods, they've bought me gluten free treats and ask which restaurants are okay when meeting up as a group. They have stopped me if I grab something without thinking, just in case I've forgotten or it's a questionable item. They make sure to ask if they can buy anything specific when they're hosting a party, and actually apologize if they forget and suggest we buy a pizza for dinner, even though of course I'm holding no offense. I don't really crave things like that anymore because I am feeling so much better lately.

I'm especially amazed and touched at the effort C as put into this. I mean, it IS an inconvenience when it's not his issue yet he has to participate when it comes to the meals we share. He doesn't complain when we have to go to two stores when we make dinner- Whole Foods for the gluten free items and Kroger or something for the normal items. He willingly ate a gluten free version of his grandmother's chicken spaghetti recipe and even said it was good, even though I know with my beginner cooking skills and substituted ingredients it did not compare to what his grandma used to whip up.
The other night we were in a bar and someone asked why I wasn't drinking the delicious-looking pitcher of Shiner. Before I could really explain he jumped in and told the guy about Celiac disease. He's just been really really awesome.

I know I could do this alone, but it's just made me feel like I'm so lucky and so blessed to have so many people that care enough about me to make these efforts.

So, for the few of you that I let read this, thank you again. You have no idea how your little efforts have made such a huge difference to me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that the people in your life are so supportive and helpful. That really makes things easier when making such a big change in diet.

    And Happy New Year! I hope 2008 is a great year for you!

    ReplyDelete