28 June 2008

my night

Today's breakfast: Brown rice crepes with fresh sweet strawberries & coffee [sans creamer again, I really like it this way]

I went and worked out and I feel pretty gooood. Cept this morning I broke one of the wine glasses the man got me for Christmas. Boo.

But: for the real story here. Last night was interesting!!

I went to visit Jen at her new apt and drove around for 20 minutes looking for a parking spot. At first I tried to parallel park between two cars, but I can't parallel park for shit. Then I accidentally parked in a handicapped spot that didn't have the sign up, but when I got out I saw it painted on the concrete. More driving around. Then I saw a spot on the next block. A few cars were parked there and I saw no "no parking" signs. I looked.

Fast forward about 30 minutes later, as we all head out to go to Agora. We're walking up and I see lights. I think I muttered, "that doesn't look good," then realized they were towing my car, and a lot of others near me. I started running and got all up in front of the tow truck as he was driving, lol poor guy. Apparently there was a sign at the end of the block that was facing the cross street that said no parking. We sat there and argued for a bit and there was no way that he was going to let me off. It was going to cost 140 bucks, cash, for him to let me go. I don't carry cash, much less that much, and I was really touched to see my friends immediately dig in their bags to see how much they had. <3 He said I could pay with a credit card once they towed my car to the lot, but it would be 190 bucks. Joy.

Anyway he tows my car and we head to Agora. Ash and Sue come by and we go to the GHET-TO to the towing lot. We get there with no major problems, but then the guy who speaks NO ENGLISH tells me that I can't pay with a credit card and I have to pay cash, exact change, 191.39. I'm annoyed... but I know there's an ATM near campus, a few blocks away.

We head towards campus on Scott St, encountering many crackies and bums in the middle of the street [I HATE driving through there at night] and we even saw a crackie/bum BBQ party on the corner, at 1am!

We get the cash, 200 bucks in 20s, at the ATM, but we need to go get change. There's a REALLY ghetto gas station that no one goes to right across the street, and I wanted to go somewhere else but Ash said she'd go in. I made her take my pepper spray, lol. I've gotten SO harrassed there before.

We pull up to this cracked out white guy blaring Miley Cyrus from his truck and Ash runs in to get change. She comes back, after a few people hanging out at the door ask her for money and hit on her, and the Miley Cyrus guy starts harrassing her for money, some story about needing gas. Like a dorkus she talks to him! I'm like, "Say no and let's get the hell outta here!" He's got his face all up in the window and stuff as we're trying to pull out. Yayy for 5th ward!

Then we go back to the towing lot and the guy's yapping on the phone for a little while and a very unhappy guy is in line behind us. Eventually I get into my car and I'm driving home. I notice something flapping under my windshield and realize that it's probably my ticket. Thankfully it doesn't blow off and I get home and look at it. $65 for parking in a "tow zone." I swear, next time I need to park, I'm just going to double-park. That ticket is only $30.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your car. That really sucks. And Scott Street, my friend talked me into doing a craft show at a church out there one weekend. She laughed when we got there as I was the one and only white person there and I got a lot of looks like I shouldn't be there. Once during the afternoon HPD came running across the lawn in their orange vests chasing a very young drug runner. Was quite an exciting day, however she never got me to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. That SUCKS. I was hoping at the end there'd be a lucky break somewhere.

    ReplyDelete