07 July 2008

perspective

Today is the first day of my "cutting out dairy" experiment. I decided to do this while laying awake at 4am feeling puffy and crappy. Enough is enough.

I'm tired of spending way too much money visiting the doctor and getting tests done that my crappy insurance doesn't cover. Enough with the medical bills already!

I'm doing this the old-fashioned way, cutting stuff out, writing everything I eat and seeing how I feel. I'm SO TIRED of feeling like CRAP!! It's been my whole damn life and it's about time it ended.

I told my mom and she was like, "What?? Does that include cheese??" I know, I was thinking about how much I'd miss cheese if I had to cut it out. And ice cream. But if it makes me feel better then screw it, it's just food. I've managed without wheat for over 6 months now and I feel like I'm a better person because of it.

I'll start with this and if it doesn't work I'll start cutting out other major food allergies until I figure it out. I'll go to the doctor and get allergy tested as a last resort. I heard it's not very fun anyway.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was something as simple as a dairy intolerance? We shall see...

2 comments:

  1. I have been through all this and continue it every day. Testing each food by going off of it to see if I feel better. It can be hard to discern which food is causing what. I would highly recommend going off all cheese and then going back on either an almond cheese or goats milk cheese. Goats milk is easier to digest, but could still end up being a no go. If you do well with soy there are a lot of options, but personally I stay away from it unless I'm starving or its the only ice cream available ;) It is really tough to digest. Why people think babies do well on it, I have no clue. Another thing you might try avoiding is oats. Supposedly there are gluten free oats out there. They may be gluten free, but I think it very likely that they are an allergen. I have not even tried to see if I could handle the "gluten free" oats. Some people replace oats with Quinoa (keen wa), but personally I don't care for it overly much. Corn is another thing I have had to avoid. Though gluten free, it is harder to digest and I may have developed an allergy to it. Millet flour is a substitute, but you have to be careful because the taste is stronger. It doesn't make good desserts. Sometimes I make millet/rice bread instead of corn bread.
    You might also try going off of eggs at some point if none of these other things are the problem or the complete problem. I am dreadfully allergic to eggs. Some people can handle guinea or duck eggs instead, though I can't. There are some amazing egg replacers out there for bread baking mostly.
    I don't know what all you have access to as far as health food stores and such, but I have found that the "Enjoy Life" brand is free of most allergens and could probably get you through an allergen fast. Especially if you need some goodies. :) Most of the recipes on my site are free of these allergens or are substitutes mentioned.
    I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm still working with an elimination diet myself. It's tough and some people don't understand, but it is so worth it to be able to interact normally and live again!
    I hope you don't mind that I am praying for you. May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, this reminded me of another Brian Regan skit where he has to cut dairy. That portion is at about 2:45, but the whole thing is pretty funny too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBko_3wT44Q

    ReplyDelete