04 March 2011

that time of year

I came home tired and wanting nothing more than a glass of wine and my couch and a good (free) redbox movie.

Instead I came home to my mom raking and cleaning out the flowerbeds.

I had planned to get my garden ready tomorrow, but I went ahead and tackled it this afternoon. Besides, there was nothing in Redbox that I wanted to see, free or not.

I took out a trash bag full of leaves, random dead plants that didn't survive the freeze, and this crazy plant which actually thrived and is super hard to kill. I pull it out every year to clean things up, and every year it takes over. I don't mind, because in the hottest summer months it's all that will grow and it's nice to have some green still in my garden. I think it helped keep a few of my plants from freezing this year.

Last year I dug up the whole plot pretty deep and aerated the soil really well. This year it was a piece of cake to toss the dirt around and mix new stuff in. It went from dead crazy jungle to cute, neat garden in a couple of hours. I seriously should have taken a before and after picture.

This year's focus is growing herbs. I discovered the huge difference between dried herbs and fresh herbs, and it's so hard to find the right fresh herbs when I want them. So, this year I hope to grow my own! I just hope something grows.

Also, gardening means the end of winter, so I switched my winter stuff out for my summer dresses. It makes me want to deep spring clean, which I might just do tomorrow since the garden is finished.
I couldn't help but change my sheets and freshen up my pillows and comforter. Bed is going to be awesome tonight. By the way, I still can't help but smile every single time I climb into that amazing bed.

Which will be very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment