01 March 2012

dress!!

So. An update on the wedding dress saga.

Even though I haven't exactly been pleased with David's Bridal in the past, I made an appointment. You just can't beat their prices and their selection of short dresses.

When I walked in, I was not sure about my consultant. She seemed a little too peppy. We started by looking through a catalog of their dresses, and almost every dress she pointed out I didn't like. I was feeling quite discouraged.

Then we started trying on dresses. We pulled a few of the short ones I liked, and she picked a few of her own.

The first dress I tried on made me feel like a little girl. The second one was also a short one, but a little more grown-up-feeling. It was actually in the top two contenders.

Then I tried on THE DRESS. It was one that the consultant picked out for me. I wasn't what I was looking for specifically, and honestly I don't think I would have given it a second glance on the rack. I won't get into too much detail in case Chris is secretly stalking my blog. Toot.

As soon as I walked out of the dressing room, my mom teared up. I could see on everyone's face that this one was special. The way the mirrors were situated, everyone else could see me before I could. So when I did get to the mirror, I understood their reaction. This dress was gorgeous, and was gorgeous on me. I've seen styles like this on the internet, but never thought I could pull it off. It turns out, I SO CAN!

It made me feel like a bride.

And, honestly, it's got every single thing I wanted. Really beautiful. It's going to look great next to Chris' dress blues. This group of girls that were there looking for prom dresses a few dressing rooms over commented on how it was their favorite. Just awesome.

BONUS: It was from the rack of broken dreams* so it was marked down half-off. Sweeeet. A half-off dress that's perfect for me? I think so. I'll take someone's broken dreams and turn them into my awesome dreams.

I tried on a few more dresses that were meh, a really pretty one that was looked great on me, and a beaded lacy sweetheart neckline masterpiece, but didn't have any special-ness to it. And it was pretty expensive. I started to get weary of trying on dresses, and my mom and Dayna were running amok in the bridesmaid/ shoe/ headpiece areas, when we all declared that we'd had enough. The whole time I think Akhtar barely spoke; he was taking pictures like a madman. Haha it was awesome!

At this point the consultant and I had really hit it off. We got each other's stupid jokes, we were totally on the same page, and it was actually really fun. Especially when I'd come out of the dressing room in a new dress and Dayna would come poking out from where she'd been lusting over some Watermelon colored shoes. And my mom would have a feathery hair clip in her hands. And Akhtar would be standing there snapping away. It was just a lot of fun.

I tried on the top two contenders again, and jazzed it up with a veil or hairpiece, and at that point it was kind of a no-brainer. I mean, if it makes your mom cry, it's a winner. I think I saw Dayna start to tear up there for a minute, too.

So at that point I was like, all right let me give you money and I'll just take this dress home now because it's awesome. They have to do a few minor alterations, and I'll have it by the end of the month.

Phew. One less thing to worry about!

*The dresses that were returned or never picked up. Meaning someone's wedding didn't happen. My mom's trademarked that phrase.

OH! Also I think my boobs got smaller. Yesterday they barely filled out the D-cup bra, and in the past they would have definitely spilled out. And I've noticed lately that my bras are a little roomier. Nooooooo!

2 comments:

  1. Gah, I want to see it!! Congrats, I'm so happy you found the right dress.

    Also, what is the deal with boobs changing size? I always thought it was like shoe size, and stays constant. Nope. I guess it's a good way to force me to buy new bras, but it's still annoying. It's just one of those lies of adulthood. That and the lie of acne being a teenage-only thing. In fact, my insurance just denied some prescriptions because I'm over 25. Lame sauce.

    Okay, I got a bit rambly there. Congrats again! I so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE. SHARE your shrinking boobs secret!!!

    I want to see the dress on you!!! Do I have to wait? I'm not the groom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete