11 March 2012

the story

I really debated blogging about my engagement story. But I've already lost so many of the details to time, and I'd really like to have this to go back and read some day. And also because I haven't told Chris some of these details, in case he reads it. But, what the hell. I find it entertaining. And you might too.

So we were having a really nice weekend in San Antonio, and one night we were going to check out the hotel's rooftop jacuzzi. So before we did that Chris went downstairs to grab something from his truck. Which kind of has a back story, but I didn't realize the significance of until later on.

When we first arrived at the hotel, he pulled up and went to check in. The bell hop guy came up to the truck with a cart so I, of course, got out to unload the bags. What I didn't realize was that when Chris left to check in, he set the alarm. When I opened the door, it went off. And it's blaring, echoing in the parking garage, and I'm standing there, feeling like an enormous dork. I called him, but he didn't answer. He was nowhere to be found with his keys, so I started unloading the bags, because it was better than standing there doing nothing looking stupid. When I was unloading stuff, I found a plastic grocery bag underneath the seat. I saw some tealights through the plastic, and figured it was probably something his mom had left in there. I knew she occasionally drove his truck to keep the engine good, and that's something that Chris would never have in there. I didn't think anything of it. So I left it alone. By the time he came back, the bags had been loaded onto the cart. Come to find out, the rose petals were in the same bag. If I'd have seen those, I would have known something was up. He though I'd seen them and was playing cool all weekend. Definitely not the case.

Fast forward a few nights, when he ran to his truck to grab something. He didn't specify what "something" meant, and he wouldn't let me come with. I knew we'd pretty much cleaned out his truck, so I was suspicious of what he was really doing. I asked him for more details and he wouldn't tell me. He does random secretive shit now and then so I eventually dropped it.

After he left I went into the bathroom to change into my bathing suit. When he came back up, he told me I wasn't allowed to come out. Okay... I'm thinking he's got some kind of surprise. I'm also hoping it's cake.

I'm sitting there, in my bikini, getting kinda chilly, so I put my cardigan back on. And I wait. First I sit on the toilet, then I perch on the countertop. Then I get bored and curious. After a minute or so, I open the door just a crack, careful not to look, and yell what's taking so long. He very sternly told me to get my toot ass back in the bathroom and close the door. So I closed it, and as I did, I glanced at the floor and noticed rose petals right outside the door.

**Internal alarms going off**

Whooooaaa. Hold on. What the hell. Rose petals? Rose petals are serious. Rose petals do not accompany cake. What kind of shit is he planning?

So I put my ear to the door and listened. I heard the distinct sound of a lighter being frantically lit, over and over again.

Rose petals and candles? This is definitely not about cake. Holy shit, is he going to propose? The thought came to me like a strike of lightning. (And I kid you not, my first thought after that was, this is so cheesy!) No, there's no freaking way he'd propose. He better not propose with rose petals and candles. Dork. Besides, he's not supposed to propose until after he gets out of the Marines. That's years from now. That's not right now. We're just, you know, tooting right now.

Maybe he's just trying to be romantic after being away for so long. That's it, he just wants to be all romantical and shit. No big deal and you're over-reacting.

He better not fucking propose. Oh God. Holy shit, I'm not ready for this. I'm in my bathing suit, for crying out loud! My hair is frizzy! And this is not part of my [kinda secret] five-year plan!

Ok, quit freaking out. He's not going to propose you doof. He came straight from Afghanistan to your house. He didn't even have time to get a ring. You're overreacting. Just wait and see what happens.

...What the hell is he doing? Fuck, I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do! I wish I could call my sister but my phone is outside in the forbidden zone! (Side note: She knew about the whole thing)

So after a few more minutes of internal freak-out-age he opens the door and I'm nervous as shit, but I act surprised and delighted and try to figure out what's going on. I mean, I didn't want to act like he was proposing if he wasn't. Wouldn't that be awful?

So there's rose petals everywhere and about a billion candles. And my initial thought about it being cheesy was replaced by the thought that it's a pretty damn impressive sight. As usual, he knew what he was doing. It was really very pretty, and if you've never been in a dark room lit only by a ton of candles, it's way cool-looking. The effect was amazing.

So from this point on it's kind of a blur. I remember sitting on the bed, on top of rose petals. Which are cold on my bare thighs. Remember, I'm still in a bikini and a cardigan. A little awkward. And a little chilly. So he says some nice things that I'm sure neither of us remember, and at this point I'm still not entirely sure what his motive is. All kinds of things are running through my mind. Candlelit sex? Romantic rekindling of the relationship? A present? Cake? A "glad we made it through deployment" re-affirmation? At some point he stops talking and takes my hand and puts it under the pillow next to me.

It's at this moment that I'm absolutely sure of what I'm going to find underneath it. And I'm stunned. Absolutely stunned. No fucking way, dude. Never in a million years did I expect this. NEVER!

Sure enough, I touch a round, cool piece of metal. Are you serious?!? I grab it, pull it out, and-- this is an image that I will never forget. Good call on the candles, Chris, because in that kind of light the ring came out blazing and sparkling like the fucking Fourth of July. I said, "Wow." (God. Lame.)

So we're both sitting there, and I'm looking back and forth from him to the ring for what seems like an eternity. I think I say a couple of "Oh my gosh"es and "Baby"s and random ramblings. Then, looking all cute and stuff, he asks, cool and collected, "Will you marry me?"


And I feel so fucking un-refined kuz I go, "Yeah."

I said, "yeah" to a marriage proposal. I always imagined I'd say "yes" or "of course!" or something a little more put-together or excited sounding. But, since I was already half-naked with frizzy hair and rose petals stuck to my ass and at a complete loss for words or thoughts or anything, I guess yeah was pretty good. At least it was in the affirmative. Because as freaked out as I was minutes earlier, that's how blindingly happy I was.

He puts it on my finger, after asking which hand and which finger it goes on (geez), and just like that we were engaged. Just like that he was home, and just like that we were engaged. In that instant my life freaking changed. No fireworks (except from the ring, haha), no dreamy movie-like emotions, just complete and utter shock. And a smile that wouldn't leave my face.

So after it's official, we kind of flip-flop our typical modes. I'm very quiet, trying to take it all in, and he gets super-talkative. Telling me all about how he planned it and how he got the ring and how long he's been doing all of this and how I was such a little shit for giving him shit about going down to his truck and peeking out of the bathroom and on and on. And I'm just sitting there dazed, listening and looking at him and the ring. Unbelievable.

Then he mentions that we could get a custom wedding band from the same designer and I'm just absolutely amazed that Chris, of all people, is standing in front of me talking frankly about getting married. Like it's no big deal. Calling me his fiance about two minutes after the ring's on my finger. I could. not. believe it.

Then we went upstairs and hung out in the glorious hot tub on the roof until they kicked us out. And I just kinda walked around in a daze and tried to make normal conversation like I wasn't still completely floored.

Like I said before, it took about a good week or two for me to really wrap my head around it. Completely knocked off my feet. I mean, I figured it would happen one day, just not at that moment. I figured I would have at least seen it coming. After all this time, after all we've been through, after years of wondering what was in store for us, knowing he was the love of my life, the future pretty much got solidified in about 5 minutes. It was especially wonderful to experience my family's reactions. I've never been surrounded by so much happiness and excitement from the people that mean the most to me.

He was disappointed that I didn't cry, because I tend to do that when I'm surprised, but honestly I was too damn shocked. It's still a little surreal sometimes. Mostly I think because he's not here, sharing all the excitement that comes with being engaged. I think that would make it more real, more comfortable, if he were here. But, we're pretty much pros at being apart, and it will make it that much more awesome the next time I see him.

So that's the story. Not how I ever imagined it would happen, but insanely happy nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! Thanks for posting. This makes me excited all over again. Con-freaking-grats, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, so romantic!! I was laughing at the "cake" part. Or, lack of cake, haha!

    ReplyDelete