30 May 2008

dreams

I didn't work so it's seemed like the weekend all week.

You know what really annoys me? Businesses you find in the yellow pages or from google that don't exist anymore. Take, for instance, the wild goose chases Chris and I went on, looking for a mini golf place and a gluten free bakery. Both: closed. And I had so gotten my hopes up about the bakery since there are like, NONE in Houston.

I hear about all these other cities that have gluten free pizza delivery and bakeries and little cafes here and there, but the nation's fourth largest city has next to nothing.

I'm not complaining about the grocery stores and availability of gluten free ingredients. I'm complaining about the restaurants. When I go out to eat it's hit and miss. Sometimes people are understanding and helpful and sometimes they get pissy and act like it's such a huge deal if I ask about the food. And it's not like I'm rude or ask a billion questions when the restaurant's packed and they're busy. Even then I don't completely trust the food, just because 'what if.' It's very discouraging and I feel like a pain in the ass.

It's been an idea of mine for a long time to open up a bakery one day, which of course has now been converted to a gluten-free bakery dream, and Chris made the observation that since there are none in Houston it would be a good idea to open one here. It's an idea, but who has the time and/or resources for that? I certainly don't, at least not right now. But it would be super sweet. Imagine a place where people with these food issues could confidently go into a restaurant, not get hassled, and actually order something straight off the menu with no worries that it will make them sick.

I hate complaining about something instead of doing something about it. I don't know, I love the idea, but I have to start looking seriously into the med tech school applications. Gotta graduate first, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment