12 May 2008

hiccup

The most curious thing just happened.
I was reading some articles about why we yawn and why we sneeze, when I saw at the bottom of the page a link to an article about why we hiccup. Seeing as how I actually had the hiccups at the time, I clicked on it.

Usually when I have the hiccups I breathe in as much as I possibly can, until I can feel the diaphragm engaged, then I hold it until I can't possibly hold it anymore, or until the urge to hiccup passes. Usually I get dizzy when this happens.

There's also drinking water, eating sugar, and this cracked me up: One time Missy had the hiccups and Chris said to her, "I've got a $100 bill in my wallet and if you hiccup one more time I'll give it to you." So we all looked at her and she hiccuped, but James said that that's happened to him and it stopped his hiccups, lol.

There was also that time when Nisha had the hiccups and out of nowhere I screamed and lurched at her to scare her. Well, she got scared all right and told me I was "freaking psycho," but it got rid of them. :o)

Anyway I was reading the article and one of the things it mentioned was to pull on the tongue. Okay... so I stuck out my tongue and held onto it. I felt like I might gag but it worked! How strange, I'd never heard of that one before.

I think I'll do that from now on, avoid the dizziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment