01 January 2010

Fabric coaster tutorial

I -hate- water rings on tables. I have a ton of random fabric scraps laying around, and they are perfect for making a quick coaster. The way I figure, the more coasters laying around, the less water rings I will see. And, since I'm using materials I already have lying around, the cost is zero.

Cut 2 squares of fabric equal in size- about 4 inches.
Cut a slightly smaller square of old absorbent cloth- I used one of those chamois things you use to dry cars with.
If desired, cut a small piece of plastic approximately the same size as the absorbent square. I used an old plastic party tablecloth. I figured this would serve as backup to prevent seepage.

Later the fabric, absorbent cloth, plastic, and fabric into a sandwich- patterened side out.

Pin the 'sandwich' shut on the edges, and sew the outer edge closed around the absorbent cloth. I used a zig-zag stitch to resist fraying and also because it looks neat.

To prevent the inside absorbent cloth and plastic from bunching or moving around, sew another border inside of the first one, making sure to sew through all the layers. Trim the excess fabric close to the outer border, and you're done.


These will eventually fray, but I'm kinda going for that shabby look.

To make a more polished finished product, sew the two fabric squares together on three sides with the patterns facing in. Turn it right-side-out, insert the absorbent cloth and plastic, then sew shut with two borders as before.

1 comment:

  1. you should just steal coasters from bars...like i do...

    ReplyDelete