22 May 2011

dang.

What a friggen Saturday.

Frank wins the award for first emergency room visit of 2011. May, not bad. We made it 5 months.

But let me start at the beginning.

Saturday I woke up and felt like working out, so I headed to curves. When I walked in, they were in the middle of a Zumba class, and you can't do the circuit when they're doing Zumba, so I just joined in. They were about halfway through the hour-long class, and after 30 minutes I was red-faced, sweating, and dying.
I do not normally move that much. But it was fun, and it felt good. I could just feel my nasty blood clearing up. Today, I am very sore in places that I'm not normally sore. This means Zumba works. I will go back.

Then we had crawfish for Frank's birthday and the bazaar was going on too. A little crawfish, a little bazaar.
For years I've been trying to win a plan at the bazaar, and this year, with Akhtar's help, I finally won one! And then Akhtar spilled snowcone on it. But I think it will be ok.


I also bid on the silent auction and won this for 6 bucks!! Heck freaking yes!


So it was good.

I came home, hung out for a bit, showered the funk away, and climbed into bed.

And then, and I'm not exactly sure how all this happened.

I get a phone call from Ashley telling me to come into the park NOW.

The drunkies had all walked to the bazaar and had walked back. On the way back, Frank and his gf were in the park talking when she went back to the house. Apparently after that he hit his head somehow, and when he didn't come back home they went to look for him. So they found him lying in the park, drunk, sobbing and inconsolable, saying that he had a splitting headache.

He wasn't really answering questions and couldn't walk, so he was carried/dragged home. Due to the questionable nature of his head injury and his inability to stand up or stop crying, we decided to take him to the emergency room. I was in my robe, so everyone else took him and I stayed home getting phone updates from Ash.

They gave him a cat scan, said there was nothing wrong with his head, gave him a shot for "pain," and discharged him. In the state he was in, I was worried that he might have some kind of alcohol poisoning, or at least significant dehydration, in addition to whatever happened to his head. They said he had drank a LOT, and he'd been drinking since the early afternoon. The emergency room doctor didn't even address it.

At the point when they tried to discharge him, he was still sobbing constantly and writhing in pain. The nurse was complacent and bitchy, and the when the doctor came into the room to talk to them, he was eating a donut. Real compassionate professionals over there. If I was a nurse and a 21-year old boy came into the ER sobbing and saying nothing but "it hurts," I'd at least try to comfort him or pat his hand or something. Nothing. They treated him like a contagious ragged alcoholic instead of a patient, then threw him out. I was furious, and thankfully Ashley was actually there and ripped everyone new assholes.

And it's not like they were busy. It was one of those 24-hour urgent care places and I'm pretty sure he was the only person there. They just acted like they didn't give a shit.

Sparing you all of the drama details, eventually they came home and my mom was awake at that point and made sure he made it upstairs to bed and would wake him up every few hours to make sure he was ok. She said he did have quite the knot on his head.

I heard movement this morning so I headed upstairs with a bottle of water, a max strength aspirin, some pepto and a black curtain to put over the window. He's hurting today. Massive hangover plus a bump on the head? Oy.

Want to go back to bed, but I need to be able to sleep tonight so I can get up for work tomorrow. Oy.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds terrible! Hope Frank feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i second that. please give my regards, and what terrible hospital visit for it to be the first one of the year. props to ash for getting in their faces

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, glad Frank is alright all things considered! Congrats on your plant, I was going to ask if you won one =)

    That 24 hr place sucks major ass, going to avoid that place!

    ReplyDelete