01 August 2008

bump in the night

I have a routine. Every morning when the cat wakes me up to let her out, I turn off my AC. This ensures that the room is nice and uncomfortable and warm when it's time for me to wake up. Otherwise I stay curled up comfy in my bed.

So around 330 this morning I climb back into bed and as I'm falling back to sleep I hear a voice. Not like a creepy Jacob Marley voice, but a regular, conversational voice. I couldn't make out words, just noise. Think a muted Charlie Brown teacher. As I laid there listening to it, I wonder who could possibly be talking. My dad gets up pretty early for work, but this was way too early. Pretty soon I realized that it was my younger brother Luke, whose bedroom is directly above mine. I bet he left his TV on or something. That boy will sleep through anything, including his alarm going off for hours.

The noise wasn't especially loud, but I knew my ears would unconsciously strain to hear it and I wouldn't get any sleep. So I climbed out of bed, put on some PJ pants, and opened the door to the house. I heard my dad snoring, haha. I go upstairs and I see the bright outline of light behind the door down the hall to Luke's room. I knock on the door.

"Enter." (yes, he said "enter.")

He's talking on his cell phone. "Hey Luke. I can hear you talking. Can you talk quieter or something?"

He laughs and says sure. I go back downstairs. In a few minutes he hangs up the phone and I don't hear noise anymore.

I never realized during the daily noises and AC running that the floor/ceiling is so poorly insulated!

Oh yeah, the toe I stubbed last night is kinda throbbing and swollen. I don't think it's broken or anything, just bruised REALLY badly. I can walk on it but I have to kinda shift my weight. It even hurt to drive today! Goooo Jen... yay for being a klutz.

No comments:

Post a Comment