27 October 2008

The Moth

Since it has been gorgeously cool here, I've been leaving my door open at night when it gets that extra bite in the air. I know an open door means extra bugs, but it's worth it.

Last night I was working at my computer when I heard the buzzing of large wings. Fearing the worst, I turned around and prepared to run screaming from a flying roach. To my relief, it wasn't a roach, but a rather large moth, bouncing off the overhead light in the kitchen. In an effort to lure it out, I turned all my lights off and turned on the porch light. Of course, it just sat there.

I got a stick and tried to shoo it towards the door, but of course, it flew into the farthest corner away from the door. I called Luke in, for manly backup support, and I tried to shoo it away from the corner. It flew, I ducked and screamed, it hit Luke in the head, and disappeared. We tried to look for it, but gave up and decided it was just going to stay wherever it was.

Fast forward to about 4 o'clock this morning. I hear the buzzing of large wings through my sleepy haze. There is one of those paper globe lamps that hangs directly above my bed, and I heard it bouncing around in there. Terrified it would fall onto my head, I got up and took the lamp down. By that time it had moved on to the bathroom. I could hear it bouncing around in there.

Relieved that no moth would be falling on my head from the lamp, I went back to sleep.

Fast forward to about 5 o'clock. Pumpkin comes in, eats some food, drinks some water, and climbs up on the windowsill to take a bath, like always. I am halfway asleep and vaguely aware when she jumps up to go investigate the noises that have resumed in the bathroom. For about 5 minutes all I hear is beating wings and the klink of pumpkin's rabies tag on her collar. Then, the tumbleweed of noises travels onto the rug next to my bed, where the sound of claws on carpet joins in.

I peek one eye open and she's frantically playing with the thing. Hiding behind a shoe, then pouncing. Munching a bit, then leaving it to lay there.

Well, that's the end of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment