24 June 2012

DIY- Microwave Rice Heating Pad

It's amazing how productive I can be after I stop taking drugs.

The surgeon recommended applying heat to my jaw to loosen it up bit. It's so sore that it's hard to open my mouth very far. After struggling with my ginormous heating pad, I remembered seeing something around the internet about putting rice in a sock and microwaving it.

So I dug around and found a sock that didn't have little bits of dirt stuck to it (eew) and filled it with rice. After tying it with a hair tie and microwaving it for 1 minute, I had a pretty darn warm sock! It was easy to position the sock, and the rice molded to my face. It stayed warm for about 20 minutes, so when I fell asleep I wasn't in danger of burning myself, like I've done before with the regular electric heating pad.

After a few days of snuggling a tied-up tube sock, I figured I'd make it pretty.

In less than 5 minutes, I made this:



To be sure that the fabric I chose wouldn't scorch in the microwave, I nuked it for a minute. No problems, so I continued forward.

I cut two pieces of fabric approximately as big as the sock, and sewed three sides together (with the patterns facing each other). Then I turned it right-side out, dumped the rice inside, and sewed up the last side. Seriously less than 5 minutes.

Once this wisdom tooth madness is all over and done with, I plan to use it when I get those monster sinus headaches. It's always difficult to position that huge heating pad on my forehead, and heat really seems to work.

I don't know why I never thought of this sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment