04 January 2018

household

I crossed a few things off the house to-do list recently.

The to-do list consists of mostly big projects, like new gutters and front door, but there are a few items that have been hanging out for a LONG time, like patching the holes in the wall in the master bathroom. (I'm talking about the ones that have been there for years, since we changed the light fixtures just after moving in. They have been there so long that I don't notice them anymore.)

Some of the projects are fairly new. One night last week, I came home to a fallen tree branch near the driveway. Fortunately, my cousin and her husband were in town for the wedding and staying with me, and he pulled it out of the tree for me. On our way back in to the house, he stepped on the rotted board on the deck (that's rotted because the gutters need to be fixed). Anyway his foot went completely through it! Thankfully, he wasn't hurt. That same morning, the kitchen sink started dripping. The joys of an old house.

Anyway it was immediately hectic with wedding stuff and the holidays, so those things stayed that way for a little while.

Then I felt strangely motivated and headed to the hardware store. I made friends with the lady there, and then headed home with some wood, nails, a crowbar, paint, and spackling compound. And I got stuff done.

Stuff I crossed off the list:

-Repaired the deck board. No more liabilities there.
-Sawed the tree branch down to smaller pieces so that the trash men will take it.
-Patched the holes in the master bathroom. The patches are not exactly pretty, but the holes are no longer there, yeah!
-Finished the last touchups on the guest bathroom tub that was refinished a few months ago.
-Started patching some small damage on the siding, since there's no way the whole project will happen any time soon.

The list is still long and growing, but it felt good today to take care of a few things. Also I felt super strong and kickass using a crowbar and TWO different kinds of power tools. Rawr.

No comments:

Post a Comment