01 January 2018

bye, 2017

2018.
Every year goes by so fast. I'm not even sure what to think about 2018 yet. Maybe reviewing 2017 will give me some direction. Last year I wanted to focus on my health, self-care, and simplification.

Of course the process is never finished, but I think I made great strides. I did not anticipate many of the curveballs this past year, but I did try to take a step back and choose how I reacted to those things.
Life's never going to be in a place where everything is perfect, and things can change so quickly, so I've really tried to focus on living in the moment. This year I have had to go with the flow a lot, and I found myself setting mini-goals instead of trying to commit to something larger.

As a result of these slow psychological changes, I feel more stable. More in control of myself, and more in touch with who I am, or at least who I want to be.

A few things to note:

The bullet journal is great. I love the idea, and I don't check it daily but it's nice to have everything in one place, like the last time I changed my toothbrush.

I do not feel guilty when I take those moments purely dedicated to self-care. They are important. I completely relish those manicures or hot baths, or whatever it is I need.

Since my exercise motivation tends to come and go, I didn't focus on anything this year. I exercised when I felt like it... which was more than I expected, seeing as how I let myself be coerced into a few 5ks.

Instead, I tried to focus on my diet, which initially meant eating more vegetables. The Whole 30, to my shock, helped me to start identifying unhealthy food habits. They're so hard to identify when they've developed over a lifetime, and even harder to break. As a result my diet has definitely shifted. Not sure if it's actually healthier for me, but I have felt good. I guess overall that's a good indicator.
Plus I'm pleased to say I've eaten WAYY more vegetables this past year than I ever have. Roasted brussels sprouts are incredible.

Simplification is an ongoing process as well, and it's a pleasure. Most of the process has included de-cluttering and replacing several crappy items with one higher-quality version. So many boxes full of stuff have made it out of here. Now that I have an idea of my wardrobe style, I'm considering trying a capsule wardrobe or some other simplified pattern of dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment