25 January 2018

yoga intentions

My hips hurt so bad last week that I signed up for an extra yoga class this week: Yoga for Your Hips. Yes, this particular studio has a Yoga for Your Hips class. Which I think is absolutely brilliant.

So after a particularly stressful day where my hips didn't happen to hurt but I did happen to feel particularly down in the dumps, I grabbed my yoga mat and gratefully headed to class.

I learned a lot and it was SO GREAT for clearing my head and boosting my mood.

The teacher was lovely, and there was one other student in the class. A regular. She was very friendly (later I found out she was Canadian and that made sense). We all chatted for a bit and they both included me in the conversation, even though it was obvious they knew each other well and could have easily gone off on a less inclusive tangent. It's exactly the vibe I was hoping for with this place. I'm grateful they included me because it really helped boost my mood.

The teacher knew I was a beginner, so she gave me some extra instruction on a few of the poses where I struggled. Definitely some areas where I could work on my flexibility.
I do know that flexibility is one of my weakest areas and it's one of the goals I set for myself when I committed to this yoga practice. I'm happy to have some basis to measure my progression.

There were a few poses that I've never seen before and I thought they were awesome.
One was a (small) rolled up blanket placed between your navel and hip bones while you lay belly-down on the floor. Fantastic for when you need a little digestive movement. Will definitely use when I need it.
Then there was one laying on your back with your legs butterflied, except there were strategically placed blocks placed under your shoulders and head. It seems awkward, but it was absolutely wonderful. Genius use of simple props.

But the best part was the mindfulness. My head was swimming in a million directions when I walked in, but I left feeling at grounded and at peace.
Again, I love setting an intent at the beginning, and gradually focusing on that intent and clearing out the head mess by coming back to that intention several times during the practice. Kind of like a guided meditation. I'm so happy this is working for me like I hoped it would.

Side note: I like to blog with background noise; something that won't catch my attention but isn't mindless dribble. I turned on Beauty and the Beast, the new one with Emma Watson. I've seen Beauty and the Beast a million times and I've seen this version, but I keep getting distracted to watch. I do love a nice musical, and Beauty and the Beast is like, top 3. After Moulin Rouge and Sound of Music. I have to say, this newer version is well done.
(I have not seen that new circus musical that's in theaters, but I've heard it's good and might try to see it this weekend)

No comments:

Post a Comment