04 August 2010

books!

My mom came into my room last night and started going through the stack of books on my coffee table. I picked up several from the library, and borrowed a few from Missy. I'm in the process of reading several of them, but none have really grabbed me.

Yesterday while in the library studying for the certification exam this evening (GAH!), a book on a nearby shelf caught my eye so I picked it up and checked it out.

But back to my mom. She was sitting on my couch in her flowered mom nightgown and while we were chatting she read the summary of each book. Then she said, "None of these books start with sex. You need to start a book with a really raunchy sex scene to pull people in, so they'll keep reading wondering if there's more raunchy sex." I can't make this stuff up.

The book I picked up randomly was The Tea House on Mulberry Street. And it was just the thing I was looking to read. No, it didn't start with raunchy sex. Everything I've read in the past few years (ie textbooks) has required thought, and I'm tired of thinking so hard when I read. This book was not too heavy, didn't require a lot of thinking, had some humor and scandal, and was just a fun, simple read. I didn't want to put it down, and finished it in one sitting last night.


Now maybe that the seal is broken (the first novel I've read in a long time!) I can get into the other books.

I just want to get this test over and done with!

1 comment:

  1. lol - your mom is funny.

    I have done this exact thing with books before. Sometimes I just get burned out of the sciency stuff and need something that's pure fluff. Lately I've going with memoirs when I'm in that place, but next time I'll have to check out the book you read.

    ReplyDelete