03 August 2010

changes

Last night after even more wine I decided I needed a change in scenery. Rearranging the furniture again was NOT happening, but as I was sitting at my desk I realized that I've been looking at the same cluttered wall and the same dark, cluttered bulletin board for years. So, down came the bulletin board, and I started a project at 10pm.

This bulletin board has been re-done several times. Once it had a kelly green background with white trim and hot pink ribbon, and the fabric that was currently covering it was pretty, but much too dark for what I was looking for.

Half of the pictures uploaded sideways, and I can't fix them. The other half came out fine. Blogger, you suck.

Anyway, I picked out a new fabric, something light:

I do love yellow.

I rummaged through my ribbon scraps and came across a shiny peach-colored one that happened to JUST be long enough to border the edges. It was a sign.

The project was pretty simple. I dug through my acrylic paints to settle on a light purple color. After easily ripping off the existing fabric, I painted several coats on the wooden border. It took a few to cover the black paint already there.

While it was drying, I noticed the crazy-ness that had taken over my bookshelf this past year. Papers falling out everywhere, binders crammed into tight spaces... That was cleaned out as well.

After it dried, I hot-glued the fabric to the board, and edged it with the peach ribbon.

I put the bulletin board back up, went outside and clipped a few sprigs of greenery from the yard, moved some other things around, and now it looks much cleaner, brighter, and organized. That particular corner of the room doesn't get much light, and I never noticed how the dark colors made it look so dreary. The yellow and the slightly reflective ribbon made such a huge difference.


I should have taken Before pictures. It was so bad!

Now I'm going to work out and get a good start to this day. Then- to the library- certification exam tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment